On a daily basis, thousands of transactions are successfully sent via Visma Addo. However, sometimes we do experience that emails sent via Visma Addo cannot be delivered to certain email addresses, as their mail server sends them back. This is called a "bounce" and your activity log will display the following message:
Possible problem with delivering e-mail to [email address]. Please verify the e-mail address is correct and resend the notification.
Here's an example of what it looks like in the log:
There are lots of different reasons why emails bounce. Here are some examples of the most common reasons:
- The email-server Addo is attempting to deliver to does not support TLS (Transport Layer Security). Addo requires TLS in order to deliver encrypted emails securely, and this is an integral part of the security Addo provides for you and your customers. If this is the case, you will have to find another way of delivering notifications to the recipient, like an alternative e-mail address with a different domain name (the part after @)
- The email-server has an outdated version of TLS or the TLS certificate has expired
- The email address of the recipient is incorrect, often due to a spelling error. If that's the case, please verify the email, and correct it directly within the Activity log
- The domain does not exist (@domain.com)
- The email from Visma Addo is for some reason not accepted by the recipients mail host as it e.g. considers it as spam
- The size of the document sent for signing is greater than allowed by the recipient’s mail host. This could be the case if the recipient’s storage limit is reached
How you should handle bounce mails
It can be very frustrating, if a document cannot be delivered to a recipient. Especially, if you are certain the specified email address is correct - you may even be able to send emails to respective address from your private email without any problems.
If that’s the case, it indicates that the email server is blocking the email from Visma Addo on the assumption it’s spam, or has identified its content as being so. In this instance, we are unable to do anything as we cannot determine why the specific email server blocks the Visma Addo email. Therefore, in order to get on with the process, we recommend you to:
- Ask the recipient for an alternative email address. You can edit the recipient's email address directly within the transaction if you click on the recipient’s name. Thus, you don’t have to resend the whole transaction.
- Restart the transaction and instead of sending it via email you can send via SMS. Here, you can copy the transaction by clicking on the transaction and go to “Copy Transaction”. In doing so, the settings from the original transaction will be copied and you can change the “Send notification to” SMS from email.
Note: If you receive an alternate email address, the most optimal would be if you got one from another domain as there is a high chance it would bounce again.
How we handle bounce mails
We work hard to keep bounces as low as possible so we can deliver as many emails as possible. Therefore, we constantly monitor the acceptance rates of the outgoing emails and work proactively to improve this. We do this by being a so compliant and trusted provider as possible by following some internal procedures.
As bounce mails is impossible to avoid completely, we have set a bounce rate of 2%, as this is the industry standard. Our latest monitoring of bounces was 1.33% which is considered as a healthy and acceptable rate. The bounce rate percentage is the number of bounced emails divided by the total number of sent transactions.